I do believe that at the inception of this blog I mentioned that I would be posting healthy and delicious recipes in addition to wellness topics. Since the last few weeks have all centered around the body and self care, I’ve decided that this week called for something a little yummier so I am sharing with you a recipe for Roasted-Vegetable Lasagna. Don’t let the ingredient list put you off. This is really quite simple to make.
- Olive oil
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk (1% or 2% is fine)
- 1 large eggplant (sliced to about 1/3″ thick)
- 2 or 3 medium zucchini (sliced longwise to about 1/4″ thick)
- 2 bell peppers (yellow, orange or red – halved and seeds removed)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 portabella mushrooms (cleaned of gills)
- 1 bunch spinach
- 26 oz. tomato sauce
- 3-6 oz. fontina cheese, grated
- 2 or 3 handfuls shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 -1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- handful fresh basil OR 3 tbsp. pesto
- 1 pkg. no-boil lasagna noodles
- Heat the oven to 425° Brush 2 or 3 baking sheets with a little olive oil then arrange all the veggies into a single layer. Brush veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast in the oven until they begin browning about 25 minutes. Turn veggies halfway through. Some of the veggies may take longer than others so remove them from the pans as they finish roasting.
- Meanwhile: Melt the butter in a saucepan, add garlic till fragrant. Add flour, stir and cook 1 minute. Add milk in a slow stream. Stir and heat over medium heat till thickened. Be sure to stir often and adjust temperature so that sauce does not burn on the bottom of the pan. Add salt, pepper and a dash of nutmeg.
- Slice the portabella mushrooms and peppers into strips.
- Assemble lasagna: Start with a ladleful of tomato sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan/casserole dish. Layer as follows: noodles, sauce (both kinds), veggies (any order/combination you prefer, though I like to do a single layer of eggplant first), cheese, repeat … finish with a layer of noodles topped with tomato sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10 or 15 minutes till the top is browned. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.