Between overdoing it over the holidays, the warmer weather bringing the promise of spring and a little special something else going on in my life – I’ve been on a health kick lately. (If I’m allowed to still call it that despite a wicked sweet tooth.) Now when I say health kick, keep in mind I don’t do diets or fad food crazes. Just good, clean, yummy foods and lots and lots of veggies. I threw this little number together for lunch the other day using leftovers from the night before and thought I’d share it with you all here. This salad is loaded with protein to keep you going the rest of your day. I don’t know about you, but I can use all the help I can get in the energy department!
Arugula Salad Topped with Lentils and Poached Egg
Note: The lentils were part of dinner the night before and make a great hearty side to some roasted veggies or some seared and sliced meats.
- 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 -2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup dried green or red lentils
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas (optional)
- A few splashes of white wine
- 2 cups water, veggie or chicken stock depending on your preference
- Red chili flake to taste
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan and add the onions, carrots and celery giving the onions a minute or two head start. Sprinkle on some chili flake, oregano, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are starting to soften.
- Add the lentils and split peas (if using) coat in the oil and cook for a minute or two.
- Add a few splashes of white wine to the pan and cook till the liquid evaporates.
- Add your liquid (water or stock) to the pan, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. If the liquid has cooked off and the lentils aren’t cooked through yet, simply add more as needed.
- Adjust your seasonings according to your own preferences.
- Enjoy the lentils and use the leftovers, cold, for the rest of the recipe.
Assemble the Salad:
- Lightly dress a heaping portion of arugula (or other salad greens you have on hand) in a red wine vinaigrette: 2 parts red wine vinegar to 1 part olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top with several large spoonfuls of the cold lentil mixture.
- Top with a poached egg: bring a pan of water to a fast simmer, crack an egg and sprinkle the top with salt. Watch carefully not to boil water or overcook egg. When the egg has firmed up but the yolk is still runny, remove with a slotted spoon and place on top of the salad.
…… And Enjoy!